Our history began in the fall of 1908 when several young men attending St. Joseph Church realized the need for a new parish on the east side of Indianapolis. At that time the streetcar route on Michigan Street ended at Tacoma Avenue. Beyond that there were only fields, dusty roads or paths.
A census taken by these interested young men revealed that some seventy-five or more families lived in the area and plans were formed to meet with the Bishop in the hope of establishing a new parish at Rural and North Streets. Ground broke on February 1, 1909 with the cornerstone ceremony taking place around March 7, 1909 and the church opened on June 27, 1909.
Mission Statement: St Philip Neri Catholic Church has served the near eastside of Indianapolis for over 100 years. Through sacramental celebrations, we welcome all by proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ through our words and actions. We embrace the cultural diversity of our community as we use our time, talent and treasure to help build the Kingdom of God.
“La Iglesia Católica de San Felipe Neri ha servido a la zona del Este de Indianápolis desde hace más de 100 años. A través de las celebraciones Sacramentales, damos la bienvenida a todos al proclamar la Buena Nueva de Jesucristo a través de nuestras palabras y acciones. Abrazamos la diversidad cultural de nuestra comunidad valiéndonos de nuestro tiempo, talento y tesoro para ayudar a construir el Reino de Dios. “